Thursday, January 6, 2011

My socks? Totally awesome.

My mom is always at a loss for things to put in my Christmas stocking.  I guess in some traditions, the Christmas stocking is filled with candy and oranges, which is really confusing to me.  I mean, oranges aren't even in season in December.  Maybe it's a Christmas miracle?

Anyway, she usually ends up putting in whatever little random odds and ends she can dig up in my stocking.  Which means that come Christmas morning, I get the following items:


One tube of Burt's Bees lip balm, one nail file, one pair of brown shoelaces, two bottles of hand sanitizer (in Midnight Pomegranate and Clean Cotton scent), a set of Razorback nail tattoos, an Ambu CPR mask keychain*, a bottle of Extra-Strength Tylenol, and a pair of scissors.  Of course, this is better than what my brother usually gets, which is usually an assortment of toothbrushes, personal hygiene items, and pens.

This year, however, I told my mother that what I wanted in my stocking was socks.  The crazier, the better.  I have to wear very specifically colored scrubs at work, and my only tiny form of individuality/rebellion is in the wearing of awesome socks.  She came through in spades.  This is only one of the beauties waiting for me Christmas morning:


I am in LOVE, y'all.  Hot pink and green argyle toe socks with tassels.  TASSELS!!!  My mother was actually afraid that I wouldn't like them.  They are only the most amazing socks on the planet.   I wore them for the first time today:


 I felt like I was wearing those old-fashioned majorette boots all day.  Amazing.  Anyway, I got to thinking when I got home from running my errands today that someone with such incredible socks would be incredibly selfish to keep them to myself.  So I started this blog.  I can't promise it will always be about socks.  Sometimes, it may be funny, and sometimes it may be sad.  But rest assured that underneath it all, I will ALWAYS be wearing awesome socks.

*The Ambu keychain is actually a pretty awesome gift.  It's a little plastic mask to use if you ever have to give CPR to a stranger outside of the hospital.  Although one of my colleagues thinks it's stupid.  "Sex is rampant," she says.  "You can jump into bed with any old person you want to, but God forbid you give someone mouth-to-mouth."

No comments:

Post a Comment